we have been advised by the City of London Police fraud team that a NEW Extremely sophisticated scam going about this week, involving all banks. You get a message saying a payment hasn’t been taken e.g O2, Vodafone, 3, Giff Gaff or EE and to click here.
As soon as you touch it your money is gone.
Its likely that they already have all your details and it’s the most advance scam the bank has ever seen. Pass this on to everyone please.
I believe the banks are being inundated with calls - thousands flying out of peoples accounts!
Spread the word to your family and friends!
There is also a number of automated calls saying you owe the tax call doing the rounds wants you to press a number to get through IGNORE
Tax office would not contact you this way !
What and how do I deal with the bank issues ?
1. DO NOT GIVE ANY DETAILS OUT DURING THE CALL TO YOU
2. TERMINATE THE CALL AND THEN CONTACT YOUR BANK USING THE SECURE CONTACT PROTOCOLS YOU HAVE
3. DO NOT USE YOUR LANDLINE PHONE FOR AT LEAST HALF AN HOUR AS THEY MAY STILL BE TRACKING YOUR LINE AND WILL LINK UP WITH.
4. BETTER STILL USE A DIFFERANT PHONE (MOBILE FOR EXAMPLE)
5. IF YOU DONT RECOGNISE THE TRANSACTION ITS LIKLEY TO BE A SCAM
6. BANKS DO NOT ASK FOR CERTAIN LEVELS OF DETAILS AND THEY NEVER EVER ASK FOR THE FULL PASSWORD ONLY SELECTED LETTERS.
7. IF YOU WANT TO TEST THE BANK ASK ABOUT A TRANSACTION ONLY YOU WOULD BE AWARE OF SUCH AS A PARTICULAR PAYMENT
8. IF YOUR STILL UNSURE CONTACT YOUR BANKS FRAUD DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY
9. IN TERMS OF BANK TRANSFERS MANY BANKS OPERATE A SYSTEM WHERE THEY IDENTIFY WHO YOUR MONEY IS BEING TRANSFERRED TO, IF THEY CANNOT BE ABSOLUTEY SURE YOU DO
10. DONT PANIC, REFUSE ANY REQUEST UNLESS CERTAIN INFORMATION ONLY YOU KNOW CAN BE CONFIRMED. THE INLAND REVENUE AND BANKS WILL OFTEN CONFIRM ISSUES IN WRITING OR VIA SECURE E MAIL VIA YOUR ONLINE BANKING ACCOUNT.
DONT GET CAUGHT OUT
All blogs are written or edited by Cllr Pam Redford & Cllr Trevor Wright